The Guernsey County District Public Library is seeking candidates for the position of Assistant Director. The library consists of three locations and serves 40,000 residents, with a budget of over $2,000,000 and approximately 23 FTEs. Located in SE Ohio, 30 minutes east of Zanesville, the library is within an hour’s drive of Canton, Marietta, and Wheeling, WV. The ideal candidate would be someone who is looking for challenges and opportunities in exploring new and creative ways to deliver library services to the public. Management experience in a public library setting is strongly preferred. There will be opportunities to reexamine traditional library offerings in an attempt to more effectively meet the current needs of our users. Benefits include holiday and vacation pay, sick leave, O.P.E.R.S., paid professional memberships, and individual coverage health insurance. The salary range is $45-55,000, depending on qualifications. Those applying or with questions can contact email@example.com.
- Masters of Library Science; a valid Ohio Certified Public Librarian credential
- Minimum two years supervisory experience with strong administrative skill
- Demonstrated service-oriented professional experience
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate judgment in handling information
- Ability to work accurately with attention to detail.
- Ability to retain, follow and recommend library policies and procedures.
- History of progressively responsible public library work experience.
HIGHLY PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Provides leadership.
- Exhibits creativity.
- Fosters communication and teamwork between departments.
- Capable of learning new organization, product or technical knowledge.
- Acts with the patron in mind using information gained from interacting with patrons.
- Manages time effectively and efficiently.
- Flexible schedule and willing to work evenings and/or weekends. Exempt, salaried employee. Duties may exceed forty (40) hours per week, due to nature of the position.
- Successful completion of background check.
- Valid State of Ohio driver’s license.
- ILS applications.
- Microsoft Word, Excel and Publisher.
- Various mobile device formats.
- Other miscellaneous library-related applications, including email.
- Periodic to occasional travel by automobile is required for position responsibilities.
- Manual dexterity and physical ability to perform tasks (repeated lifting weights up to 25 pounds, continual standing, reaching, bending and walking).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Assists the Director in providing leadership to Library District; assists in development of policies, matters of administration and supervisory detail in connection with the operation and maintenance of the Library; supervises staff as assigned; acts for the Director in his/her absence; prepares and maintains reports. Functions as Deputy Fiscal Officer.
- Assists the Director in preparing documentation for regular Board meetings; attends Boar d meetings and Board committee hearings as required; assists in the implementation of all Board policies; adheres to established customer service guidelines and procedures; informs the Director of system-wide matters requiring attention.
- Assists in preparation and development of short-range (one (1) year) organizational goals as required; works with the Director on strategic plan for the Library; reports regularly to the Director regarding progress toward organizational objectives and other issues of concern to the Director and the Board.
- Assists in the collection development process as assigned by the Director.
- Represents the Library in the community as assigned; promotes good public relations in the community; keeps informed of professional and community developments; participates in professional organizations as approved by the Director.
- Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance.
- Meets all job safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to essential functions.
- Attends meetings, conferences, seminars and community events as directed; serves on boards and committees as assigned.
- Prepares monthly system-wide staff scheduling to meet the needs of the community.
- Completes annual job performance evaluations of all non-exempt employees, per Director’s input. Assists with interview and hire process.
- Develops implements and oversees adult programming, including book discussion groups.
- Coordinates necessary vendor and contractor services/repairs to ensure smooth operation and open hours of all facilities.
- Performs any and all other related duties as assigned or directed in order to promote, further and ensure the effective and efficient operation of the Guernsey Co. Dist. Public Library.
- Acts as Library liaison to both OAPSE Local 26 and Friends of the Library.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by any person assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of an employee assigned to this position.